Building 4, Suite 190
Lexington MA, 02421
We are looking for an experienced Mechatronics Engineer who demonstrates a passionate customer focus. The individual must be detailed oriented and able to work independently and as part of a team when needed. This role requires someone who excels at thoughtful, fast, and disciplined execution of work deliverables with an interest in exploring and pushing the boundaries of material-handling robotics. This position requires up to 25% travel.
A Glimpse of What You Will Do
- Design electromechanical and software solutions for automated material-handling workflows and robotic manipulation systems (e.g. robot end-tools, material positioning stages, object identification systems).
- Lead selection, prototyping, and initial design of new sensing options (e.g. barcode scanners, beam-breaks, pressure sensors, force sensors, etc.).
- Install and repair sensors, robot end tools, mechanical systems, and controls.
- Work with customers to define and scope material-handling problems.
- Develop and work with our team to finalize electrical schematics, mechanical diagrams and system-level drawings.
- Record and analyze numerical and graphical data for presentation to senior leadership.
- Field-install and maintain systems by adjusting, repairing, replacing, or modifying automation/robotic system components.
- Generate documentation and build instructions for new hardware designs.
- Troubleshoot early-stage and early-production design and functionality problems.
Required Skills and Experience
- Masters or Ph.D with a minimum 5 years' experience working in robotics or automation relevant field.
- Graduate degree in mechanical, electrical, software, or general robotics discipline.
- Ability to parse research papers/work and determine the functional from the theoretical.
- Fundamental understanding of best-practices in automation electrical and mechanical design.
- Strong familiarity using Linux operating system.
- Experience with python programming or comparable language.
- Familiarity with ROS software.
- Basic familiarity with SolidWorks or comparable CAD tool.
- Familiarity with quick-turn rapid prototyping practices (3D printing, low-volume CNC services and sheet-metal bending).
- Ability to follow electrical reference designs and make simple connections.
- Well versed in the use of measuring devices (e.g. oscilloscope, Vernier caliper, multimeter, laser level), inspection tools, and power tools.
- Experience with material-handling or related warehouse automation equipment including conveyor systems, robot arms, photo-eyes, proximity sensors, VFD drives, barcode scanners, safety controllers.
- Familiarity running Windows tools to update/edit custom device firmware.
- Use of rapid-prototyping services for sheet-metals, CNC, and plastics.
- Familiarity with industrial electrical work involving 220-480v hardware & standards.
- Understanding of electrostatic discharge (ESD) effects and concerns.
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art automation protocols (ASi, Ethernet/IP, IO-Link).
- Proven ability to find and understand COTS solutions wherever applicable.
- Previous experience designing, maintaining or repairing robotics and production equipment strongly desired.
About the Company
We are a venture-backed company that combines artificial intelligence and intelligent robotics to change the way companies do business. Our company includes a team of world class technology experts recruited from centers of excellence including iRobot, Amazon, Uber, Tesla, Kiva Systems, Google, Microsoft, Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, Rethink Robotics, Lockheed Martin, BAE, Honeywell, and others. Prior work by this team resulted in more than 30 commercial products and billions of dollars in product revenue. Simply put, our team knows how to produce disruptive products that generate value for our customers.
As a company, we work hard and are creating material impact with our customers. Some would feel the need to say, “we work hard and play hard.” At Berkshire Grey our work is so rewarding that most of us finish a day and think “what could be more amazing?” Our culture is highly collaborative and open, the technical problems are challenging, the business opportunities are magnificent, and the value of your work to the customers and to the world is clear. Indeed, what could be better?
We are an equal opportunity employer. Benefits include: medical and related insurance, 401k with generous vesting and match models, and a well stocked kitchen.