Mechatronics Software Engineer
Building 4, Suite 190
Lexington MA, 02421
We are seeking an experience software engineer to lead the design and implementation of PLC and PC hardware-level software for new integrated robotic systems. This person will be part of our engineering team, and work on core mechatronics control and integration software.
We are looking for a person who is:
- Passionate and customer focused.
- Thoughtful, fast, and disciplined about execution.
- Detail oriented.
- Able to work independently and part of a team when needed.
- Interested in exploring and pushing the boundaries of material-handling robotics.
Here is a bit of what you will do:
- Lead design and implementation of PLC and PC hardware-level software for new integrated robotic systems.
- Participate in selection, prototyping, and initial design of new sensing and actuation systems (e.g. barcode scanners, beam-breaks, pressure sensors, force sensors, etc.).
- Participate in generating documentation and APIs of software for customer engineering interfacing.
- Troubleshoot early-stage and early-production design and functionality problems.
- Travel to customer and other sites (up to 20% travel).
- Technical degree (Bachelor's or Master's)
- Minimum 5 years' experience working in robotics or automation relevant field with PLC and PC software application development.
- Fundamental understanding of best-practices in automation electrical and software design.
- Familiarity using Linux operating system.
- Experience with Siemens or Rockwell PLC programming environments.
- Experience with python programming or comparable language.
- Ability to read electrical reference design documents and make simple connections.
- Well versed in the use of electrical measurement devices (e.g. oscilloscope, multimeter).
- Experience with material-handling or related warehouse automation equipment including conveyor systems, robot arms, photo-eyes, proximity sensors, VFD drives, barcode scanners, safety controllers.
- Familiarity with industrial electrical hardware involving 220-480v devices & standards.
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art automation protocols (ASi, Ethernet/IP, IO-Link).
- VCS (Git)
- Issue tracking systems (Jira).
- Messaging systems (gRPC, ROS, Kafka).
About the Company
We are a venture-backed company that combines artificial intelligence and intelligent robotics to change the way companies do business. Our company includes a team of world class technology experts recruited from centers of excellence including iRobot, Amazon, Uber, Tesla, Kiva Systems, Google, Microsoft, Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, Rethink Robotics, Lockheed Martin, BAE, Honeywell, and others. Prior work by this team resulted in more than 30 commercial products and billions of dollars in product revenue. Simply put, our team knows how to produce disruptive products that generate value for our customers.
As a company, we work hard and are creating material impact with our customers. Some would feel the need to say, “we work hard and play hard.” At Berkshire Grey our work is so rewarding that most of us finish a day and think “what could be more amazing?” Our culture is highly collaborative and open, the technical problems are challenging, the business opportunities are magnificent, and the value of your work to the customers and to the world is clear. Indeed, what could be better?
We are an equal opportunity employer. Benefits include: medical and related insurance, 401k with generous vesting and match models, and a well stocked kitchen.