Senior Mechanical Engineer
Building 4, Suite 190
Lexington MA, 02421
This position will be located in our Lexington, MA headquarters. The Senior Mechanical Engineer will work directly as a member of our product development team, applying their mechanical expertise to implement truly novel solutions to solve immediate customer challenges. They will at times work independently on pieces of systems, with a team of other mechanical engineers, or with other engineering disciplines to ensure a cohesive system design. The candidate must be capable of a great deal of autonomy with respect to designing, fabricating, and testing new designs, as well as launching new products into production and supporting systems fielded at customer sites. We expect our team members to take poorly or partially understood problems and spin elegant solutions quickly and independently. Managing technical progress at contract manufacturers and their suppliers may be involved, as well.
- Take inputs from customers (both internal and external) and generate sub-system requirements.
- Utilize a set of requirements to design elegant solutions both quickly and carefully, independently preempting issues of manufacturability and future maintenance.
- Design and execute tests to disambiguate between candidate solutions, find the best approach, and convince the team of your conclusion.
- Transform tested conceptual solutions into robust product designs in coordination with engineering, operations, the customer and contract manufacturers
- Design and release components and systems using SolidWorks.
- Develop production and support documentation including bills of material (BOMs), assembly drawings, and maintenance instructions.
- Work with our suppliers, machinists, contract manufacturers, and shippers to guarantee that the right electromechanical system is assembled and functional in the right place at the right time.
- Perform test and verification of prototype systems.
- Perform system design analyses, including reliability, design-for-manufacture, design-for-assembly, cost-takeout, etc.
Desired Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's of Master's in Mechanical Engineering
- Five or more years of related work experience, preferably advancing designs from initial concept through initial production.
- Significant experience using 3D CAD, preferably SolidWorks - including 2D drawings, simulations, and PDM
- Experience designing motion control systems with sensors, actuators and complex mechanisms
- Experience designing systems that are used in industrial settings
- A working knowledge of ASME drafting standards including GD&T, (Y14.5-2009)
- A working knowledge of DFM/A, Six Sigma, and statistical tolerance analysis
- A working knowledge of structured problem solving methods including 8D and Ishikawa diagrams, (fishbone)
- A working knowledge of failure avoidance methods including DFMEA/PFMEA and fault tree analysis
- Able to work with customers and contract manufacturers
- Able to manage more than one project concurrently while still meeting deadlines
- High level of technical writing proficiency (specs, test plans, reports, white papers, etc.)
- Ability to handle some minimal electrical design (cable harnesses, wiring diagrams, grounding strategies, etc.) is a plus
About the Company
We are a venture-backed company that combines artificial intelligence and intelligent robotics to change the way companies do business. Our company includes a team of world class technology experts recruited from centers of excellence including iRobot, Amazon, Uber, Tesla, Kiva Systems, Google, Microsoft, Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, Rethink Robotics, Lockheed Martin, BAE, Honeywell, and others. Prior work by this team resulted in more than 30 commercial products and billions of dollars in product revenue. Simply put, our team knows how to produce disruptive products that generate value for our customers.
As a company, we work hard and are creating material impact with our customers. Some would feel the need to say, “we work hard and play hard.” At Berkshire Grey our work is so rewarding that most of us finish a day and think “what could be more amazing?” Our culture is highly collaborative and open, the technical problems are challenging, the business opportunities are magnificent, and the value of your work to the customers and to the world is clear. Indeed, what could be better?
We are an equal opportunity employer. Benefits include: medical and related insurance, 401k with generous vesting and match models, and a well stocked kitchen.