Senior Mechatronics Engineer
Bedford MA, 01730
Berkshire Grey is looking for a Senior Mechatronics Engineer who is passionate and detail-oriented. The right candidate for this role will be able to work independently and as part of a team when needed. The Senior Mechatronics Engineer will be customer-focused and able to perform fast, thoughtful and disciplined execution. We are looking for a candidate that also has an interest in exploring and pushing the boundaries of material-handling robotics.
- Design electromechanical and software solutions for automated material-handling workflows and robotic manipulation systems (e.g. robot end-tools, material positioning stages, object identification systems)
- Lead selection, prototyping, and initial design of new sensing options (e.g. barcode scanners, beam-breaks, pressure sensors, force sensors, etc.)
- Install and repair sensors, robot end tools, mechanical systems, and controls
- Work with customers to define and scope material-handling problems
- Develop and work with our team to finalize electrical schematics, mechanical diagrams and system-level drawings
- Record and analyze numerical and graphical data for presentation to senior leadership
- Field-install and maintain systems by adjusting, repairing, replacing, or modifying automation/robotic system components
- Generate documentation and build instructions for new hardware designs
- Troubleshoot early-stage and early-production design and functionality problems
- Minimum 5 years' experience working in robotics or automation relevant field
- Previous experience designing, maintaining or repairing robotics and production equipment strongly desired
- Degree in mechanical, electrical, software, or general robotics discipline
- Bachelor’s/Master’s/PhD in relevant field: Responsibilities will be adjusted based on experience and educational background.
- Ability to parse technical papers/work and determine the functional from the theoretical
- Fundamental understanding of best-practices in automation electrical and mechanical design
- Strong familiarity using Linux operating system
- Exposure to PLC programming (Siemens, Allen-Bradley, CodeSys) and control logic
- Basic familiarity with SolidWorks or comparable CAD tool
- Familiarity with quick-turn rapid prototyping practices (e.g. 3D printing, low-volume CNC services)
- Ability to follow electrical reference designs and make simple connections
- Well-versed in the use of measuring devices (e.g. oscilloscope, Vernier caliper, multimeter, laser level), inspection tools, and power tools
- Travel expected up to 20%
- Experience with material-handling or related warehouse automation equipment including conveyor systems, robot arms, photo-eyes, proximity sensors, VFD drives, barcode scanners, safety controllers.
- Familiarity running Windows tools to update/edit custom device firmware
- Familiarity with ROS software
- Experience with PC programming (python programming or comparable language)
- Familiarity with industrial electrical work involving 220-480v hardware & standards
- Understanding of electrostatic discharge (ESD) effects and concerns
- Familiarity with state-of-the-art automation protocols (ASi, Ethernet/IP, IO-Link)
- Proven ability to find and understand COTS solutions wherever applicable
About the Company
We are a venture-backed company that combines artificial intelligence and intelligent robotics to change the way companies do business. Our company includes a team of world class technology experts recruited from centers of excellence including iRobot, Amazon, Uber, Tesla, Kiva Systems, Google, Microsoft, Carnegie Mellon, MIT, Cornell, University of Pennsylvania, Rethink Robotics, Lockheed Martin, BAE, Honeywell, and others. Prior work by this team resulted in more than 30 commercial products and billions of dollars in product revenue. Simply put, our team knows how to produce disruptive products that generate value for our customers.
As a company, we work hard and are creating material impact with our customers. Some would feel the need to say, “we work hard and play hard.” At Berkshire Grey our work is so rewarding that most of us finish a day and think “what could be more amazing?” Our culture is highly collaborative and open, the technical problems are challenging, the business opportunities are magnificent, and the value of your work to the customers and to the world is clear. Indeed, what could be better?
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Benefits include: medical and related insurance, 401k with generous vesting and match models, and a well stocked kitchen.